Former Vice President Mike Pence set political Twitter abuzz Monday night when a filing with the Federal Election Commission indicated he was running for president in 2024.
Except it wasn’t actually him.
Devin O’Malley, a spokesman for the former Indiana governor, confirmed on Twitter that “Former Vice President Mike Pence did not file to run for President today” after eagle-eyed reporters spotted the online submission by a “Mike Richard Pence.”
The filing also listed a “Mike Pence for President” campaign committee with an address at a post office box in Anderson, Ind., northeast of Indianapolis.
It was not clear who handed in the paperwork, with O’Malley telling one Twitter user: “I think someone pranked you.”
O’Malley referred a request for comment from The Post to the FEC, which said it “cannot comment on specific filings.”
The filing was reported Monday by Britain’s Sky News and the Washington Times.
Pence hinted during an interview with ABC News in November that he was considering a 2024 White House run, and said that he would be discussing the possibility with his family over the holidays.
Earlier this month, Pence appeared to indicate he would only consider running for president rather than the open Senate seat in his home state.
“I think if we were ever to step forward to serve the American people that would be to take all the experience that we’ve had and run for national office,” the 63-year-old told Fox News.
“But I’m always humbled to be asked,” he added. “You know, somebody asked me the other day if I ever thought about running for president and I said, ‘No more or no less than any other kid that grew up with a cornfield in his backyard.’”
Former President Donald Trump is the only 2024 GOP candidate to formally launch a presidential campaign so far.
The 76-year-old announced his third bid for the White House Nov. 15, but his candidacy is off to a stuttering start amid a series of controversies.
Get Best News and Web Services here