Tim Tszyu’s shot at a world title has been put on hold, with undisputed champion Jermell Charlo suffering a broken hand.
The 28-year-old was set to take on the super welterweight champ in January, but will be forced to wait after Charlo fractured his left hand during training camp.
Tszyu was dejected following the news but is prepared to bide his time.
“Very dissapointed,” he said.
“Felt like the stars aligned for undisputed…but we move on. Ready to take to the next mandatory challenger.
“I’ll be back for Charlo once he is ready and heeled.”
Charlo broke his hand in two parts during a sparring session on Tuesday and will be in a cast for two months.
“I was sparring, and I threw this nice punch and as soon as it landed, I knew something was wrong. I felt my hand throbbing right away,’’ he said.
“I had two X-rays and an MRI to see what was wrong. It showed it was broken in two places. I hate this feeling. My hand will be in a cast for two months. I’m as disappointed as the fans, maybe more, because this was my first chance to defend the undisputed title.
“The way I am, I would have beaten Tim Tszyu with one hand, but the doctors and the boxing commission won’t allow that. It’s even more dangerous when a lion faces adversity and has to come back to defend the pride. I’ve been training since July, and I’ve been hitting harder than ever, and these are the things that happen when you push yourself to the limits.
“After my hand heals, I’m coming back stronger than ever to defend my legacy.”
Charlo became the undisputed titleholder after defeating Brian Castano in May, securing all four belts in the division.
Tszyu had flown over and begun preparations in Los Angeles earlier in December.
No alternative date for the fight has been announced at this stage.
Get Best News and Web Services here